Our client is a global company of food ingredients, with production facilities in more than 30 countries and presence in over 100 countries around the world. Therefore it is one of the largest worldwide producers and distributors in their specific category. The company is divided into 3 divisions with each of their own focus on different specialty ingredients and food industries. Every day their employees strive to be leading in the industry by being the number one innovators. Think global, act local is one of the key competences of the company.
Main goal of the position
In this new role, you will manage all intellectual property assets for the whole company and also be responsible for the development of an IP strategy for all divisions. Additionally you will be the driving force behind establishing an Intellectual Property culture within the organisation.
In this role you will have the opportunity to make a difference in a competitive and complex global organisation in the food ingredients industry and to become the partner in the business for Intellectual Property subjects, leveraging your strong and vast network and own knowledge.
Responsibility and objectives
As Intellectual Property Manager you are responsible for:
• Advising senior management concerning the development of the company’s intellectual property strategy and execute this strategy for protection of the company’s intellectual property, including: patents, trade secrets & knowhow and copyright;
• Development and implement strategies for addressing third party IP in relevant areas (opposition, licensing etc.);
• Lead pilots and other initiatives to implement intellectual property policies and practices with local and global entities;
• Provide training to company employees regarding the protection of intellectual property;
• Develop capability and implement process to manage the developing global IP portfolio;
• Primary responsibility for managing and protecting all patent activities including: communications with, and directing the activities of, outside attorneys; actively assist in preparing, filing, and prosecuting domestic and foreign patent applications;
• Provide guidance involving intellectual property; including ability to prepare patentability and freedom-to-operate opinions in collaboration with outside counsel, as necessary;
• Work closely with business stakeholders to assess patentability of new inventions, freedom-to-operate. Assist in drafting and reviewing related invention disclosures;
• Review and prepare freedom-to-operate opinions in collaboration with outside counsel, as necessary, in relation to new product ideas and developments;
• Work with business stakeholders to address competitor IP impacting commercial activities, through opposition, technology work-a-round and licensing;
• Set up an manage a patent alert system.
We are looking for a strong, cultural aware, influencer who understands what is required when building an IP culture in a global organisation. Ambition, ethics and collaboration are your core values. Besides this, you fulfill the following requirements:
• A minimum of a masters degree in a life-science discipline (for instance food science, biotechnology, chemical technology);
• At least 5 years of experience managing intellectual property including the preparation and prosecution of patent applications and the conduction of patentability and freedom-to-operate searches, either in a private organisation, technology transfer office or academia;
• Experience in the implementation of intellectual property practices and procedures in a global multi-sited organisation;
• Preferably additional career experience in food science & technology, biotechnology or chemistry, e.g. in R&D, technology roles etc.;
• Fluent in English;
• Willing to travel internationally (35% - 40%).
The company is going to be relocated per the begin of 2021 to the area of Breda (Between Rotterdam and near the Dutch – Belgian border). For this role it is likely to be placed in the Netherlands, however based on the candidate, placement in the UK office would also be a possibility (Cambridge area).
If you have any questions or would like to apply for this position, do not hesitate to contact Karin Benning; email@example.com or by mobile phone:
+31 (0)6 -30148514.